The Huffington Post ran the post 15 Career Milestones Everyone Should Reach By Age 30 back in July. I love the quote from Oliver Sacks in the intro that refers to old age freeing you from “the factitious urgencies of earlier days”. What a stark reminder to fill our days and our time with important, meaningful people and experiences instead of so-called emergencies like having dinner on time and folding all socks perfectly.
Overall, the list was cute & accurate (especially number #8 and #11!, but I have yet to experience #12), and here are five I would add:
- Truly & deeply consider whether or not self-employment is for you.
- Identify and accept the “self” that everyone talks about so much in college.
- Have the weird & awkward realization your career aspirations/achievements have outgrown those of some of your college friends/peers.
- Discover the connection between a reasonable bedtime and your work performance (& that no amount of coffee or Red Bull (yeeeuck!) will save you).
- Felt so secure in what you do that you stop doubting your gut and start really talking about your craft in public/on the job.