It’s been a while, so it’s time for a good old fashioned round-robin update… with especially excellent news to kick it off:
- We’re pregnant! And man, have I got a lot of spiritual blog posts to share about that. For now, we’re just really excited. I’m in my second trimester, and I’m grateful to God every day for it. And if you’re a freelance client, please know I plan to reach out and contact you directly before the end of the year, once I figure out my maternity leave plan :).
- We moved, and then we moved again. Earlier this summer, we moved from our 1.5-bedroom apartment of 3 years to a townhouse. It…. did not work out. So, we moved back to our old complex to a 2-bedroom apartment. It’s glorious, and another thing I thank God for every day. I now realize how important environment is for my mental health, since I spend my working day here, too, and we feel really lucky to have been able to make that decision and in agreement to make it.
- Food is all crazy. My food journey is still evolving. Eating a Whole30 earlier this year brought my thyroid numbers into range for the first time in 5 years, which I believe God used to help us conceive right at the convergence of other emotional developments (more on this later). Crazy timing! But since then I’ve been eating Paleo + Cheese. In the pasts week it’s clear that cheese has got to go and I need to shift back into AIP to feel my best, so I’m in week 1 of no diary, then I’ll drop sugar and nuts and eggs and things, and then settle into AIP again. It’s really hard and stressful to feel so deprived while pregnant, but I just can’t argue with feeling nauseas most of the time.
- I have to drink a gallon+ of water a day. And I’m not very thirsty most days. So, if anyone has any pregnancy-friendly tips to increase water consumption beyond the whole “spice up the water with tea and lemon” and “put a rubber band on your glass to count the glasses” and things like that, please let me know!
- We paid off our second car! Right in time to invest another $1000 in the first car, haha. But it’s really nice to have that $280 car payment slashed off our 1st-of-the-month budget. It’s not all good news though…
- We’re back on credit. We haven’t used credit in five years, so this feels like a failure. There’s really no excuse — being stressed about the pregnancy, paying off our old lease, moving to a new place, and getting furniture put us in a position to think this was a good idea, and we went for it. It’s not the end of the world, and we’re about to re-group and get grounded again, but it’s important to me to be honest with myself (and you guys) that we’re not happy about our financial behavior lately. Don’t make our mistakes! But forgive yourself when you do!
- The reason money things are in the “small” column is thanks to God. Much of the silence on the blog in the past year and a half is due to my deepening conversion to Catholicism. Worrying less about the things that used to really keep me up at night (like money and my job) is one of the fruits of that work. I can’t wait to share more with you guys and shake things up!
That’s the haps with us. And thanks to a lot of spiritual progress and a lighter freelance work load, I feel the writing bug come back to bite me. Stay tuned for more regular posting, and, if you get a second, hit up the comments to let me know what you’ve been up to!